Sunday, July 8, 2012

Beauty and Blessings




As I walked across ANU's (Africa Nazarene University) Campus this morning I was overwhelmed by the beauty.  Out my window lie acres of reserve land.  My friend Liz and I are waiting in anticipation for a zebra to cross our paths.  Up and down the path from our housing to the cafeteria thousands of varieties of flowers and trees took my breath away.  I can't think of a better way to start a Sabbath day.  There was nothing to do, but praise God!  And little did I know that he had so much more in store.


Pastor Dany Gomis sat a small round table alone eating his breakfast of fresh sliced bacon, sausage and eggs infused with peppers and onions. With a short introduction he invited me to sit. The minutes passed into hours as we discussed our backgrounds, families and purposes for being in Nairobi. Dany serves on the board of trusties for ANU and is the Pastor of the Baobab Church of the Nazarene in Senegal, Dakar, West Africa. God is blessing his ministry in many ways despite his biggest roadblock: 90% of the country of Dakar are Muslims.

As a young man Dany began to search for God. That is when Dany "met the Lord" and became a Christian. As he explained his journey I was reminded of how amazingly blessed I am to have been taught from a young age about the one true God and His love for us. Dany said, "I have a great relationship with my family and I have to realize that it takes time (for my family to come to Christ)." Ten years after Dany was saved, his mother, too, came to know the Lord.

In the end I asked how we could pray for him, he said:

  • Pray for the Recording studio that we are getting ready launch. This will be another great way to reach the Muslim community. 
  • Because there is a huge threat with asking people to come to church, we instead have houses of prayer set up around the country. Pray that these groups will continue to grow and God will work through them.

Thank you all for your prayers love and support. I know that God will do great things through the nations as we connect and work as a body of Christ to Expand God's Kingdom!

No comments: